Garnishment - Can I Stop Them?

If you do not pay your debts, a creditor can go to court and obtain a wage garnishment. This is what people often refer to as having their wages "garnished," although the correct term is a garnishee or garnishment.

In order to garnish your wages, a creditor must first sue you. This is done by issuing a statement of claim. If you do not defend yourself or are unsuccessful in doing so the creditor will seek and obtain a Garnishment Order from the court. The only exceptions to this rule would be Canada Revenue Agency and Family Responsibility.

In virtually all cases, a consumer proposal or a bankruptcy will stop the garnishment. We strongly recommend that if you are being garnisheed or are threatened with a garnishment, contact F. J. Zielski & Associates Inc. now.

If a creditor has gone to the trouble of garnishing your wages, they are not likely to lift the garnishment because you agree to pay. Once it is there, it sticks!

There Are Three Ways to Stop Wage Garnishment

Once a wage garnishment starts, there are three ways to get it to stop:

  • Repay the debt
  • File a proposal to creditors
  • File for personal bankruptcy

How much can be garnished from my wages?

The amount that can be garnisheed from your wages is determined by the court.

If you are threatened with a wage garnishment or are currently being garnisheed, we recommend that you contact us immediately to determine your options. The longer you wait to deal with the wage garnishment, the more you will lose from each pay cheque.

Download and fill out the forms below to give your F. J. Zielski & Associates advisor the information needed to assess your situation. Find offices in Belleville, Kingston, and Trenton. You can also call us in Cobourg.

F. J. Zielski & Associates Inc
Created by

Legal notice